About our Gold Coast medical centre.
Our medical centre welcomes all new patients from newborns to men and women of all ages.
We’ll help you look after your health with old fashioned service no matter what
stage of life you’re at.
Why and when your consent is necessary
When you register as a patient of our practice, you provide consent for our GPs and practice staff to access and use your personal information so they can provide you with the best possible healthcare. Only staff who need to see your personal information will have access to it. If we need to use your information for anything else, we will seek additional consent from you to do this.
Why do we collect, use, hold and share your personal information?
Our practice will need to collect your personal information to provide healthcare services to you. Our main purpose for collecting, using, holding and sharing your personal information is to manage your health. We also use it for directly related business activities, such as financial claims and payments, practice audits and accreditation, and business processes (eg staff training).
What personal information do we collect?
The information we will collect about you includes your:
- names, date of birth, addresses, contact details
- medical information including medical history, medications, allergies, adverse events, immunisations, social history, family history and risk factors
- Medicare number (where available) for identification and claiming purposes
- healthcare identifiers
- health fund details .
How do we collect your personal information?
Our practice may collect your personal information in several different ways:
- When you make your first appointment our practice staff will collect your personal and demographic information via your registration.
- During the course of providing medical services, we may collect further personal information. Information can also be collected through electronic transfer of prescriptions (Etp), My Health Record, eg via Shared Health Summary, Event Summary. We may also collect your personal information when you visit our website, send us an email or SMS, telephone us, make an online appointment or communicate with us using social media.
- In some circumstances personal information may also be collected from other sources. Often this is because it is not practical or reasonable to collect it from you directly. This may include information from:
- your guardian or responsible person
- other involved healthcare providers, such as specialists, allied health professionals, hospital, community health services and pathology and diagnostic imaging services
- your health fund, Medicare, or the Department of Veterans’ Affairs (as necessary)
When, why and with whom do we share your personal information?
We sometimes share your personal information:
- with other healthcare providers
- when it is required or authorised by law (eg court subpoenas)
- when it is necessary to lessen or prevent a serious threat to a patient’s life, health or safety, or it is impractical to obtain the patient’s consent
- to establish, exercise or defend an equitable claim
- for the purpose of confidential dispute resolution process
- when there is a statutory requirement to share certain personal information (eg some disease require mandatory notification)
- during the course of providing medical services, through My Health Record via Shared Health Summary.
Only people who need to access your information will be able to do so. Other than in the course of providing medical services or as otherwise described in this policy, our practice will not share personal information with any third party without your consent.
We will not share your personal information with anyone outside Australia (unless under exceptional circumstances that are permitted by law) without your consent.
Our practice will not use your personal information for marketing any of our goods or services directly to you without your express consent. If you do consent, you may opt out of direct marketing at any time by notifying our practice in writing.
How can you access and correct your personal information at our practice?
Our practice acknowledges patients may request access to their medical records. We require you to put this request in writing by using our ROI (request of information) form and our practice will respond within 30 days.
Our practice will take reasonable steps to correct your personal information where the information is not accurate or up to date. From time to time, we will ask you to verify that your personal information held by our practice is correct and current. You may also request that we correct or update your information, and you should make such requests in writing to the Practice Manager. Please call 07 5612 7830 for more details.
How can you lodge a privacy-related complaint, and how will the complaint be handled at our practice?
We take complaints and concerns regarding privacy seriously. You should express any privacy concerns you may have in writing. .
Southport Metro Medical Centre
PO BOX 803, Biggera Waters 4216
You may also contact the OAIC. Generally, the OAIC will require you to give them time to respond before they will investigate. For further information visit www.oaic.gov.au or call the OAIC on 1300 363 992
You can also contact the Ombudsman
Office of the Health Ombudsman
GPO Box 13281
Brisbane QLD 4003
Ph: 133 646
Our standard consultations are $65.00 for non-Medicare eligible patients.
We are located next to the public toilets with our neighbours being Natures Fuel and opposite Metro Farmers Market – Shop M032, Australia Fair Metro Shopping Centre, Corner Young and Scarborough Street, Southport (see map).
Bulk billing is available to all current medicare card holders. Please ensure to bring your Medicare Card on each appointment, Photo I.D is require upon first initial visit. If you also have a pension or healthcare card please also bring these with you.
Southport Metro Medical Centre is a bulk-billing medical centre however some services are not covered by Medicare (work-related accidents and injuries, cosmetics, commercial drivers license medical,superannuation forms etc) Payment is required in full at the time of appointment. EFTPOS facilities are available.
You can do either; we have online booking of appointments through (click this link). If you walk in, we will accommodate you asap.
Yes, we can and if needed we can also do biopsies. Please ask the reception to book you in with the appropriately qualified Doctor.
Yes, we do please ask our friendly team for further information regarding arranging this.